Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org
Friday nights my family & I have dinner at our favorite pizza restaurant. Now that I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes I don’t know what to order. Could you help me with what (if anything) I can order?
Answer: This new condition should definitively not be a hindrance to spending time with your family. However, few modifications would be helpful in managing type II diabetes. Here are few suggestions:
- Watch your portion size, order big salad on the side
- Avoid extra cheese pizza with high-fat meets on top, lots of vegetables as topping is a better alternative
- If there is whole grain crust that would be a better choice
- Avoid sodas and sugary drinks that go along with pizza
- If you know ahead of time that you are going to eat out, plan well to compensate with extra calories, for example more exercise or healthy foods.